Welcome to the HLS summer reading program! Each week we’ll talk about a different type of story through books, writing, and crafts and activities. This week we are exploring personal narratives and family trees.
The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola
As we explore our family history and personal narrative stories, I want you to find a relative to interview. Talking with a relative will help you understand your family history and where your family is from. You can do this in person, on the phone, or a video call. Maybe talk to more than one member of your family if you have time.
Here are some questions you can ask:
- What is your name? Were you named after someone?
- Tell me about your family. How many siblings do you have?
- Where were your parents born?
- Did you know your grandparents?
- What did you call your grandparents?
- Tell me a funny story about one of your family members.
- How are schools different today?
- Tell me a story about when you were my age.
- What was your favorite game when you were a child?
- What books did you like to read?
- What did you do for fun as a child?
- Tell me another story about our family.
Today we are working on a draft for our personal narrative. Remember, this is our practice copy. We will likely change or add things in the story. Do not take too much time to worry about pictures because you will add them later.